cucumbers cucumbers what to do
Retta
2004-07-14 23:37:47 UTC
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
George Shirley
2004-07-15 12:45:28 UTC
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
Sweet cuke relish, gazpacho (cold cucumber soup), throw them at the
squirrels, let them get very big and build a garden shed out of them.
Many uses for cucumbers but, alas, most of the use aren't edible. <VBG>

George
Retta
2004-07-15 15:19:58 UTC
Post by George Shirley
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
Sweet cuke relish, gazpacho (cold cucumber soup), throw them at the
squirrels, let them get very big and build a garden shed out of them.
Many uses for cucumbers but, alas, most of the use aren't edible. <VBG>
George
Thank you George, Can' throw them at the squirrels cause those little fur
balls would take a couple of bites and throw them back. Since I need a new
one I like the shed idea the best. (LOL) Ras
Puester
2004-07-15 20:32:19 UTC
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
Grandma P's Cucumber Salad

3-4 medium cucumbers, peeled and seeded (if the seeds are large)
1 medium onion
salt
sour cream (~1 cup)
vinegar
celery salt (optional)
sugar
dill
fresh ground pepper

Slice cucmbers and onions very thinly (a mandoline works well)
Place in a colander, sprinkle heavily with salt, mix well. Let
drain into a bowl or the sink for at least an hour.

Mix sour cream, a dash of sugar, a few Tbsp, vinegar to taste.
Add 1/2 to 1 tsp. of dill weed to taste and black pepper.

Rinse the cucmbers to remove much of the salt, then dry with
a clean cotton towel or spin in a salad spinner to remove excess
moisture. Add the sour cream mixture a little at a time till
desired consistency is reached. Refrigerate till serving time.

gloria p
nutNhoney
2004-07-15 20:22:48 UTC
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
As far as preserving, I only know of pickles and relish. There are
several variations of cucumber relishes if you use a lot. I only do a
couple of small batches as we don't use a lot of relish. Other ways to
use them up are: eat fresh or with a little vinegar, a refreshing summer
soup, cucumber salad (several variations), tossed salad, cucumber dip
for other veggies, as a garnish, and salad dressing. If you are low
carbing, cucumbers are a freebie so enjoy them daily. Non-culinary uses
are: cucumber soap, eye relief, centerpieces, and making friends :)
Personally, I can never have too many cucumbers. I'm growing 3
varieties this year :)

Here's a recipe for you. HTH

Creamy Cucumber Dressing
1/2 c mayonanaise
1/2 c lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 c chopped cucumber
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tsp finely chopped parsley
1/4 tsp salt (if desired, I omit)
1/4 tsp dill weed
Combine mayonnaise and yogurt, mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Cover and refrigerate to blend flavours.
Brian Mailman
2004-07-16 04:20:45 UTC
Post by nutNhoney
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
As far as preserving, I only know of pickles and relish.
Yhis is an interesting variation from my site. I don't think you need
the alum, and the pickling lime step is probably optional.

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/pickles/cucrings01.html

Otherwise, go back to the main Recipes page and use the search engine
for "cucumber" and find many non-preserving recipes, many that do call
for pickling cucumbers. There's a Russian cold soup that's pretty good.

B/
Auntie Em
2004-07-17 08:54:35 UTC
Post by Retta
Is there anything to do with cucumbers beside pickles. I have enough pickles
and many more cucumbers. What to do, What to do?
Any and all please advise. Thanks Ras
If you live anywhere near Branson, Missouri - Bring them to my house!

Em