powdered milk
Logan MacEwens
2018-11-08 07:56:44 UTC
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?
Rod Speed
2018-11-08 08:25:50 UTC
Post by Logan MacEwens
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need
one shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be
stocked).
Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!
Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?
The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?
Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?
I don't get it.
Do you?
I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.

It certainly tastes different and might be a problem
if you only use it when you run out, but it stocks well.
Peeler
2018-11-08 10:27:18 UTC
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:25:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Logan MacEwens
I don't get it.
Do you?
I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.
It certainly tastes different and might be a problem
if you only use it when you run out, but it stocks well.
Trolling now in the Yanks ngs, senile Ozzie troll? It's becasue the Yanks
still haven't realized what's the matter with you, eh? LOL
--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:25:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Logan MacEwens
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need
one shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be
stocked).
Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!
Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?
The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?
Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?
I don't get it.
Do you?
There are several more steps involved in manufacturing powdered milk
compared to normal milk, so somebody has to pay for that process...
Post by Rod Speed
I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.
Depends on what wavelength your personally prefer?
UHT milk gives me the runs, ordinary milk does not.
Rod Speed
That's because you are a very shitty person.
Peeler
2018-11-08 22:51:50 UTC
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:16:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Jeßus
UHT milk gives me the runs, ordinary milk does not.
That's because you are a very shitty person.
I know a senile Ozzietard a lot shittier than him, senile Rot!
--
***@down.the.farm about senile Rot Speed:
MID: <ps10v9$uo2$***@gioia.aioe.org>
Jeßus
Keep talking to me like that, and I'll leave you. I mean it this time.
Ophelia

Yes, because it needs to be processed, which doesn't come free.
BurfordTJustice

: Do you?
Wade Garrett
2018-11-08 14:21:51 UTC
Post by Logan MacEwens
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).
Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!
Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?
The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?
Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?
I don't get it.
Do you?
Give some thought to what dairy farmers have to do to get that powder
out of the cows and you'd understand why it's so expensive ;-)
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Julie Bove
2018-11-09 09:56:13 UTC
Post by Logan MacEwens
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need
one shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be
stocked).
Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!
Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?
The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?
Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?
I don't get it.
Do you?
Think about it. How long would they have to dehydrate it for to get it to
powder? I have no idea but that would use electricity. Dried foods are
always more expensive than fresh.
Rod Speed
2018-11-09 23:20:18 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Logan MacEwens
[...]
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?
Frank
2018-11-09 23:31:37 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Logan MacEwens
[...]
I'm not sure it is. Quick look makes it somewhat difficult as it is
sold by weight but you are told to add volumes to make certain
quantities. Saw one from Carnation that was a small pack costing $1.49
and made a quart. I think a quart of milk costs more than this.
danny burstein
2018-11-09 23:35:13 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?
Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.
***@panix.com
Jeßus
Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Rod Speed
2018-11-10 07:56:18 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Rod Speed
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?
Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.
About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.
There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.
Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.
Jeßus
2018-11-10 08:17:15 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Rod Speed
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?
Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.
About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.
There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.
Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.
Seems my hypothesis is probably incorrect, according to some quick
googling I just did:
https://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/industry/production-and-sales/milk-powder
http://www.capitalpress.com/Dairy/20180223/2017-dairy-exports-highest-in-three-years
On second thoughts, what happens in a domestic market is another
matter... <shrug>
Peeler
2018-11-10 10:54:41 UTC
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Jeßus
Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.
Obviously no fresh milk surplus production there. And nobody was talking
about Australia either, senile Ozzie cretin!
--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
MID: <***@mid.individual.net>
Nyssa
2018-11-10 14:37:22 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Rod Speed
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk,
presumably because they didn't have to move it in
refrigerated trucks etc once made, so the question is why
has the price ratio changed now ?
Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's
we'd use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and
cheese...) and it was cheaper than whole milk.
About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.
There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.
Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Using half powdered/dry milk (+ water) and half fresh milk
was hyped as a big money saver back in the 50s and 60s to
stretch food budgets. Dry milk was definitely less expensive
than fresh back then.

A lot of my bread machine recipes call for dry milk, and
like others, I was shocked at the higher price for the
dry stuff these days. So I just use fresh in those recipes
and adjust the water or other wet ingredients accordingly.

My problem now is that some stores carrying fresh milk
don't seem to know how to handle and store it properly
so it goes bad much faster than it should. As in opening
a new jug of milk and having it already gone lumpy within
it's "use by" date. So I avoid that store and drive to
a farther one whenever I need to buy fresh milk. More
gas burned, but less wasted milk.

Nyssa, who has figured out that keeping a quart of milk
in the freezer for emergencies is more cost effective than
making a trip into town for just milk

Peeler
2018-11-10 00:09:56 UTC
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Julie Bove
Think about it. How long would they have to dehydrate it for to get it to
powder? I have no idea but that would use electricity. Dried foods are
always more expensive than fresh.
But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?
It's because fresh milk always got cheaper because of an oversupply of fresh
milk, idiot!