Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Nicodemus
2018-12-30 22:25:51 UTC
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?

Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
Drew Lawson
2018-12-31 02:45:03 UTC
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
I do not know specifically, but the National Center for Home Food
Preservation does have a section on smoking. I don't do any smoking,
so I don't know how extensive it is.

<https://nchfp.uga.edu/>
--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have

Nicodemus
2018-12-31 22:39:32 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
I do not know specifically, but the National Center for Home Food
Preservation does have a section on smoking. I don't do any smoking,
so I don't know how extensive it is.
<https://nchfp.uga.edu/>
I checked out the site, there was 3 articles, the one for ham seemed very
dated.
R***@home.now
2018-12-31 21:55:38 UTC
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
Here's a couple you can take a look at:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
https://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html

One of the best investments I've ever made for cold smoking or
supplementing hot smoke, was for a little gadget called the
A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8
https://www.amazenproducts.com/
Nicodemus
2018-12-31 22:44:25 UTC
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
https://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html
One of the best investments I've ever made for cold smoking or
supplementing hot smoke, was for a little gadget called the
A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8
https://www.amazenproducts.com/
I bought a similar product, and I think that it is a great invention. When
I initially tried it, I did a dry run in a Weber kettle grill, got lots of
smoke, lasted for many hours, the outside temp was around 70, the grill got
pretty warm, I measured around 135 deg F, a bit warm for cold smoking
cheese.

I guess I have to keep looking for the bible of smoking meats.
notbob
2019-01-02 02:08:20 UTC
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
Google "cold smoke" (no quote marks). You'll get this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(cooking)#Cold_smoking

We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
shed.

I've seen it done in an old disposed refrigerator.

The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.

nb
Nicodemus
2019-01-04 22:52:10 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Nicodemus
Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(cooking)#Cold_smoking
We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
shed.
I've seen it done in an old disposed refrigerator.
The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.
nb
Nice! I found a web site that has a lot of good info, when the shtf food
and water will come in handy. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/
notbob
2019-01-05 02:13:54 UTC
Post by Nicodemus
Post by notbob
We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
shed.
The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.
Nice! I found a web site that has a lot of good info, when the shtf food
and water will come in handy. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/
Good website.

I will admit we compensated a willing butcher to loan us his facilities.
Two "shares", which was 50 lbs. of finished sausages. The butcher
loaned us use of his VW-sized meat grinder and his 100lb "hydraulic"
sausage stuffer.

I got it all on VHS tape, except the smoking part, but I payed
attention. I've tasted similar products from refrigerators.

Cold smoking is easy, Jes "smoke it" in the Winter. ;)

nb
Nicodemus
2019-01-06 00:38:26 UTC
Post by notbob
[...]