Slow Start
Drew Lawson
2019-07-20 17:35:53 UTC
Well, I suppose planting late guarantees canning late.

But I've managed to try some volunter dill leaf, and stuck a bunch
of seed heads in the freezer last night. Probably won't have enough
cucumbers for pickles and relish for another few weeks.

And my cheap-o dehydrator is stuffed full of sweet basil. Last
year was mostly a garden bust and I didn't get any basil dried at
all. I dumped out the remainder of the 2016 crop today, and it
still smelled wonderful.
--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |
songbird
2019-07-21 00:01:22 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Well, I suppose planting late guarantees canning late.
But I've managed to try some volunter dill leaf, and stuck a bunch
of seed heads in the freezer last night. Probably won't have enough
cucumbers for pickles and relish for another few weeks.
And my cheap-o dehydrator is stuffed full of sweet basil. Last
year was mostly a garden bust and I didn't get any basil dried at
all. I dumped out the remainder of the 2016 crop today, and it
still smelled wonderful.
we've got a new pest here i'd not seen before:

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectlab/2018/07/23/purple-carrot-seed-moth/

makes the dill flowers a mess, but if you get them
picked early they are ok to be used. luckily it does
not seem to do too much damage to the leaves.

songbird
Drew Lawson
2019-07-21 23:18:26 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
And my cheap-o dehydrator is stuffed full of sweet basil.
Note to self: Do not over-stuff the dehydrator with basil.

Basil normally takes about 3 hours. The dehydrator was on all night
and still had leathery leaves.
--
Drew Lawson Some men's dreams
for others turn to nightmares.